With a reasonable annual fee of just $95 and a big welcome bonus, we've long considered the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card the best credit card for beginners – and among the best travel rewards credit cards, period. Heading into a Chase Bank branch to apply could make it even better.
You can currently get a welcome bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card of up to 90,0000 points – but only if you apply in person at a Chase Bank branch. However, as first reported by Doctor of Credit, Chase sent out an internal memo to their bankers on Tuesday indicating that this elevated in-branch offer on the Sapphire Preferred will be ending on Saturday, June 10.
You've got just a few days left if you want to take advantage.
A 90,000-point bonus is massive – that's up from the standard bonus of 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three month. In fact, it falls just short of the record-high bonus of 100,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points we briefly saw back in early 2021. Here's how this in-person bonus breaks down:
- You'll earn 80,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of card membership
- You'll earn another 10,000 points after spending $6,000 total in the first six months of card membership, for 90,000 points total
You'll have to apply for the card with a Chase banker in order to get this bonus, so your best bet may be making an appointment online or calling your local Chase branch. There's nothing in it for us: We consider it part of our mission to do right by readers. Pointing you toward a fairly easy path to earn 30,000 more points is a no-brainer.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Overview
- Welcome Offer Bonus: 60,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of card membership, but you can currently get earn up to 90,000 points by applying at a physical Chase Bank branch location (not online).
- 3x points per dollar spent on dining, including eligible delivery services
- 3x points per dollar spent on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 3x points per dollar spent on select streaming services
- 2x points per dollar spent on travel purchases
- Earn up to $50 in statement credits each account anniversary year for hotel stays purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal
- Earn 5x total points on travel purchased through the Chase Travel Portal, excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Anniversary Hotel Credit.
- Earn 5x points per dollar spent on Lyft rides through March 2025.
- Recommended Credit Score: Excellent/Good
- Foreign Transaction Fees: None
- Annual Fee: $95
Our Take on This 90K Point Offer
The standard offer on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of card membership. That's great as it is … but we've seen some even bigger offers in the past. And this one is among the best.
Since 2020, we've seen Chase increase the offer on the card to 80,000 points after spending the same $4,000 several times, including earlier this spring. Back in early 2021, we even saw the bonus rise as high as 100,000 points for the same $4,000 spending requirement.
So it's safe to say that this 90,000-point offer for spending a total of $6,000 in the first six months available at Chase Bank locations – and not online – is one of the best offers we have ever seen on the Sapphire Preferred Card. If you live near a Chase Bank location, it's easily worth your attention.
That said, credit cards are serious business. Opening a credit card and racking up thousands of dollars in charges isn't worth it, no matter how many points you get, if you can't afford to pay off every dime.
Thrifty Tip: Make sure you're not barred from getting this card by the dreaded Chase 5/24 rule before you head into a Chase branch to apply.
There is a limited-time increased welcome offer available on the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, offering up to 90,000 points after spending $6,000 in the first six months of card membership. But this offer is only available in physical Chase Bank branch locations. You won't be able to find it online. If you are interested, you have just a few days remaining to take advantage. Chase will be ending this offer this Saturday, June 10.
With this offer, you'll earn 80,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of card membership, and another 10,000 points after spending $6,000 total in the first six months of card membership.
If you live near a Chase Bank branch location and you're eligible, it doesn't get much better than this.