It's been nearly three months since American Express unleashed some of the biggest bonuses we've ever seen on The Platinum Card® from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card when you get referred by a friend.
But these monster offers are coming to an end soon: You'll need to apply by June 7 if either of these cards have been on your wishlist to get these bonuses.
Here are the details of each referral offer:
- You can earn 150,000 points with The Platinum Card® from American Express after spending $6,000 within the first six months. Plus, you'll earn up to $200 back in statement credits for any spending in the first three months.
- You can earn 90,000 points on the American Express® Gold Card after spending $4,000 within the first six months. Plus, you'll earn up to $200 back in statement credits for any spending in the first three months, too.
Since these offers are only available through personal referral links from current Platinum and Gold cardholders, you'll need to track down a friend in order to apply. Keep in mind that these offers are targeted, so not every current cardholder will have them to share. But if they do, they're absolutely massive, and far bigger than bonuses you'd get by applying through our links or other travel sites.
Current Amex Gold or Platinum cardholders can check Amex's referral page to see whether they can share these offers.
Consider this: The standard offer on the Platinum Card is now 80,000 points for the same spending requirement or 60,000 points on the Gold Card. You can get more if you're targeted for an elevated offer with CardMatch, but these bonuses via referrals are much easier to snag – and even better, too.
Thrifty Tip: You might need to open a referral link in an incognito window in order to pull up the 150,000- or 90,000-point offers, or even try a different browser or device.
But what really sets these offers apart from others is that $200 statement credit. It'll immediately cover your first $200 in spending, essentially wiping out all but a fraction of the Gold Card's $250 annual fee. With the Platinum Card, it takes out a good chunk of its otherwise hefty $695 annual fee.
Keep in mind: Credit cards are serious business. You should never open a new credit card unless you can pay off every dime you charge each month. Digging yourself into costly credit card debt isn't worth the points.
These are incredibly lucrative bonuses to lure in new cardholders … and there's still something in it for the person referring the card, too. By having a friend or family member apply for one of these cards through your referral link, you'll get 20,000 Membership Rewards points as well. These bonuses for the person referring someone for an Amex card are normally capped at 55,000 bonus points a year, but you can now earn up to 100,000 points from referrals.
Oh, and once you've referred someone for one of these cards, you'll also earn an extra 5x points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets for three months (on up to $25,000 spent). That means you'd earn 6x points per dollar on your Platinum Card … and an incredible 9x points per dollar with the Gold Card!
Related reading: 10 Amazing Ways to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards Points
More on the Amex Platinum Card
With unrivaled access to airport lounges and earning 5x points when you book airfare directly with the airline, the Amex Platinum Card is easily one of the best premium travel cards on the market.
It comes at a high price tag with an annual fee of $695, but play it right and you can easily squeeze far more than that out of this card. With this 150,000-point bonus via referrals plus a $200 statement credit, it's even easier to come out way ahead.
Check out our full review of the Amex Platinum Card!
Here's a closer look at the laundry list of perks and benefits that you get with the Platinum Card from American Express:
- Earn 150,000 points after spending $6,000 within the first six months. Plus, you'll earn up to $200 back in statement credits for any spending in the first three months.
- Earn 5x Points on Airfare: Spent directly with any airline or through the American Express travel portal at amextravel.com – capped at $500,000 spent in this category in a calendar year. It’s the best card for booking airfare.
- Earn 5x points on hotels, though only on prepaid hotel rates booked via amextravel.com
- The Best Lounge Access Offered From Any Credit Card: Get complimentary lounge access to the Amex Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta), Priority Pass Lounges, and other lounge networks like Plaza Premium and Escape Lounges.
- $100 Application Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: If you apply for either Global Entry or TSA PreCheck and pay with the Platinum Card, the application cost will be reimbursed ($100 for Global Entry and $78 for TSA PreCheck). You can use this credit once every four years, and membership in either program is good for five years.
- A $189 Credit for CLEAR®: Platinum cardholders now get a $189 annual credit for CLEAR, the privately run security program. It’s the first credit card that will cover the entire cost of CLEAR, as memberships start at $189 a year.
- Hilton Honors & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status: Get automatic Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors Gold Elite status without having to meet any stay requirements.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Cardholders will receive up to $240 in annual statement credits for select entertainment services in monthly installments of $20. It's currently available for Audible, SiriusXM, Peacock, the New York Times, Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.
- Walmart+ Membership: Cardholders get up to $12.95 a month to cover the entire cost of a Walmart+ membership, which comes with benefits like free next-day shipping, free local delivery of groceries and other items ($35 order minimum), and more.
- $300 Equinox Gym Credit: Receive up to a $300 credit annually to use for Equinox gym memberships or a digital subscription to Equinox+. The credit will be doled out in $25 increments each month until Jan. 1, 2023, when it switches to an upfront annual credit.
- $200 Annual Uber Credit: Each year you hold the Platinum Card, you will receive up to $200 toward Uber rides or Uber Eats orders. You get $15 each month, and $35 in the month of December for $200 total). You’ll also get a complimentary Uber Eats Pass membership.
- $200 Airline Incidental Fee Credit: Each year you hold the Platinum Card, you also receive a $200 credit to use with one selected airline. The credit is intended to be used for things like checked bags, change or cancelation fees, seat assignments, lounge access, and more.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get a $200 annual statement credit for prepaid hotel bookings through the Amex Travel booking portal. This new credit only applies to Fine Hotels + Resorts® or Hotel Collection properties, which includes some great resorts and hotels around the globe. Stays at Hotel Collection properties require a minimum stay of two consecutive nights.
- $100 Annual Credit for Saks Fifth Avenue: Each year of card membership, you will receive two $50 credits to be used at Saks Fifth Avenue stores. One $50 credit is available from January through June, with another available from July through December. Read our post on 7 ways to use your Saks Fifth Avenue credit!
- Trip Delay & Cancellation Coverage: If you pay for your round-trip flight with the Platinum Card – or put the taxes and fees from an award flight on it – you will be eligible for trip cancellation and trip delay coverage. Read more about Amex’s travel coverage here.
- Annual Fee: $695, which is not waived for the first year of card membership.
All About the Amex Gold Card
It may not unlock a boatload of travel perks like the Platinum Card, but we consider the Amex Gold Card one of the best for earning points for travel. This referral bonus just makes the case even stronger.
Read our full review of the Amex Gold Card!
Here's a closer look at what you get with the Amex Gold Card:
- Earn 90,000 Membership Rewards Points after spending $4,000 within the first six months of card membership, plus up to $200 back in statement credits for any spending in the first three months.
- Earn 4x points at restaurants on an unlimited amount of spending.
- Earn 4x points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $25,000 of spending per calendar year. 1x points per dollar spent after that
- Earn 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines and at amextravel.com.
- Earn 1x points on all other purchases
- Up to a $120 annual dining credit split up monthly in $10 increments for charges at GrubHub, The Cheesecake Factory, Milk Bar, Wine.com, Goldbelly & Participating Shake Shack locations
- Up to $120 in annual Uber credits split up into $10 monthly amounts. These can be used for Uber rides or for Uber Eats food delivery.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $250 annual fee, which is not waived in the first year
These are easily some of the best and biggest bonuses we've seen on both The Platinum Card® from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card. They might just be the best-ever offers on these cards, period.
These bigger referral bonuses are coming to an end soon so be sure to check with friends or family members who have these cards to see if they can refer you for one of these massive bonuses.