Black Friday is coming. And like clockwork, we get messages from fellow travelers asking about finding cheap Black Friday flight deals.
But here’s the truth: Whether it’s Black Friday to Cyber Monday, Travel Tuesday, or any old Tuesday … there’s no best day to book flights. In fact, the best deals aren’t the ones you’ll see advertised on Black Friday.
Sure, some airlines will offer 10% to 20% off or offer some decent discount codes, maybe even $39 one-way fares or something like that. Scan the list of travel deals from last year’s Black Friday, and you’ll see some solid savings. We expect some more decent deals this year for travel in 2022, too.
But they won’t be the best flight deals possible. Just like “flights are cheapest on Tuesdays,” you can add it to the pile of misleading advice, marketing gimmicks, and myths that somehow take hold in travel.
This is what it comes down to: You can find cheap flights every day of the year. Thanks to the unpredictable nature of airfare pricing and the occasional mistake fare, the next amazing flight deal is always just around the corner. If you follow us or subscribe to our flight deal alert service, you know that the cheapest flights are just as likely to pop up on any old Wednesday or Saturday.
Get cheap domestic and international flights sent straight to you with Thrifty Traveler Premium! You can even get $15 off your first year for Black Friday with the promo code BF15
To break the myth of amazing Black Friday flight deals, these are our best tips for getting a cheap flight no matter when you’re looking.
Use Google Flights to Start Your Search
Ditch Expedia, Hopper, and Kayak and come to the light. Allow us to introduce you to our good friend: Google Flights.
Google Flights is the most powerful search engine when it comes to finding cheap flights, bar none. It’s packed with powerful features and filters that can help you zero in on the best deal. It’s an airfare price aggregator – not an online travel agency like many other popular flight search engines.
It’s one of our favorite tools we use to find cheap flights. While you’re hunting for other deals, it’s only right you make the switch! At the very least, start your search with Google Flights and use it to point you in the right direction to snag an even better deal through an online travel agency.
Get Flight Deal Alerts Year-Round
Looking for cheap flights for a trip in 2022 and beyond? You’re in the right place.
We hunt for the cheapest domestic and international flight deals each day and instantly alert our Thrifty Traveler Premium members to the best deals we find.
We’re talking roundtrip fares to Patagonia in Chile for $63, domestic flights under $100, Mexico under $200, Hawaii under $300, Europe hotspots under $300, Puerto Rico & the U.S. Virgin Islands under $100, flash sales and deals for travel through fall 2022.
Some of these examples are more than 50% off the normal prices. In some cases, it’s more like 90%. You won’t find those savings on Black Friday sales from the airlines.
We’ll alert you to the best domestic and international flight deals from your home airport (yes, even from small regional airports!). Plus, Thrifty Traveler Premium membership comes with tons of other benefits (more on that later).
The best part? We find flight deals up to 11 months in advance: we’re already seeing awesome deals for travel through summer and fall 2022.
Other benefits of Thrifty Traveler Premium membership include:
- Domestic AND international flight deal alerts
- Deals for travel through November 2022 already
- Links to book directly with the airline & fares can be changed/canceled fee-free
- Select your home airport(s) from 175+ departure cities
- Free personalized travel rewards card consulting with our team
- Join our Premium-only Facebook travel community: 20,000+ members helping each other travel smarter!
Want to make sure you don’t miss the next mistake fare or unadvertised flash sale? Join Thrifty Traveler Premium!
Rethink the Way You Book Travel
Looking to save big bucks on airfare? Some simple changes in the way you book flights can save you much more than any Black Friday flight deals.
- Follow The Flight First Rule. Search for your flights first, letting the cheapest dates guide you. Whether you’ve got a wide-open calendar or can only travel at certain times of the year, being flexible and searching for flights first can save you hundreds of dollars every time.
- Fly on off-peak days: Flight prices are unpredictable, and there isn’t a best day to book a cheap flight (no, we don’t only find cheap fares on Tuesdays at midnight). the cheapest flights typically depart and return on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. Make a long weekend trip from Wednesday to Saturday, or fly in and out on Saturdays instead of Sundays. These small changes can save you a ton. Read the rest of our travel-timing tips to save on airfare!
- Book directly with the airline: Now more than ever, we urge you: Skip the third-party online travel agencies like CheapOair, Expedia, or Kayak, book directly with the airline via Google Flights instead. You’ll get better service if something goes wrong, and every major U.S. airline is currently offering fee-free changes or cancellations on flights booked by the end of the year.
- Change the way you search: And finally, stop searching incognito for flights. Seriously – it doesn’t change anything:
There may be some decent discounts on flights floating around in the days to come. But we want to break the myth that cheap flights only come around once a year. Here’s the truth: You can find cheap flights any day of the year.
With the right tools and tips, cheap travel for 2022 is a real possibility. Use these tips above to score unbelievable flights on this commercial holiday … or any day of the year.
Want to get instant alerts for the best flight deals we find 365 days a year? Join Thrifty Traveler Premium! And you can get $15 off your first year for Black Friday by entering the promo code BF15