The Best Credit Cards To Use For Airbnb Stays
If you are not yet familiar with Airbnb, it is a website that offers an alternative to hotel lodging while traveling. Most of these properties are privately owned homes or apartments that are available for travelers to rent out for the duration of their stay. This is a great way to experience the destination from a local’s perspective, and often a very cost-effective way to travel. Especially if you are with a larger group.
For example, for an upcoming trip, Mr. TT and I rented this Airbnb property in Bogotá, Colombia which was $200 per person for the five of us for the entire week! It would be hard to find accommodations like these in a hotel for this cheap.
Because Airbnb doesn’t have a loyalty program (at least not yet anyway), Paying for the transaction with the right credit card is important. Below, I will break down my favorite credit cards to use for Airbnb stays.
Thrifty Tip: New To Airbnb? Sign up using our link and you will receive $40 towards your first stay (we will get $20 as well).
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is one of our favorite credit cards to use for things that traditional points & miles programs cannot cover. Every purchase on the card will earn 2 miles per dollar spent, and the points can then be redeemed for a statement credit against eligible travel purchases, such as Airbnb. Read more about our favorite ways to use these miles.
You can charge the Airbnb to your Capital One Venture Rewards card and then use the purchase eraser to give yourself a statement credit (must be done within 90 days of making the transaction). You can use the purchase eraser to remove the full charge or use a select number of miles to remove just part of the charge.
- Earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of card membership ($500 towards travel)
- Earn 2X miles per dollar on every purchase. There is no cap to the number of miles you can earn each year.
- Earn 10X miles per dollar spent at hotels.com/venture
- Up to a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Fly on any airline or stay in any hotel with no blackout dates
- Capital One Venture Miles never expire
- The card does not charge foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year and then $95 each year after that
- Click Here to get more information about the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Chase Sapphire Reserve card has been at the front of my wallet since its launch in 2016. Not only does the card earn 3 points per dollar spent on dining and travel, but it also offers a $300 annual credit that can be used to cover any travel expenses, including Airbnb. This helps offset the cost of the $550 annual fee and is a big reason I continue to hang onto this card.
Earning 3 points per dollar on Airbnb spend is also a great deal as I place a high value on Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Another great option to earn your Airbnb spending is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. While in the same family as the Sapphire Reserve card, it doesn’t come with an annual travel credit and earns only 2 points per dollar spent on travel spend. However, the annual fee on the card is only $95.
- Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points After you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of card membership.
- Earn a $300 Annual Travel Credit every 12 months, Chase reimburses you for any purchases that code as travel.
- 3X Points On Travel And Restaurants Worldwide
- Earn 10X points per dollar spent on Lyft rides through 2021.
- $100 Application Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓
- Complimentary Priority Pass Select membership
- Annual $60 credit for DoorDash food delivery service
- DoorDash DashPass membership
- Primary Car Rental Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- Click Here to get more information about the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
I am a big fan of Airbnb as I think they are creating a positive disruption in the travel industry. With the lack of an Airbnb loyalty program and thus a co-branded credit card, these are the top credit cards to use for Airbnb stays. To learn more about these cards and other travel rewards credit cards, visit our Top Credit Cards page.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.