Late last year, American Express announced that the American Express® Gold Card would be adding a $10 monthly credit to be used at Uber or UberEats sometime in early 2021. But at the time, it was unclear exactly when that new benefit would go live.
Now, it appears that cardholders with the Amex Gold can put this new monthly benefit to use starting Feb. 1, 2021. American Express chat agents have suggested that new benefit announcements are coming at the end of January. And the always-reliable Doctor of Credit reports that the new Uber credit will go live starting in February.
A spokesperson from American Express did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Just like the Uber credits cardholders get with the Platinum Card® from American Express, these will be doled out in monthly installments of up to $10 each month. And they’ll automatically kick in as Uber Cash for both Uber Rides and Uber Eats orders.
Putting it to use is simple: Just add your Amex Gold Card to your Uber account and voila – your bonus Uber Cash balance will show up and automatically apply to any Uber ride or Uber Eats order.
But keep in mind: This new Uber Cash benefit is a use-it-or-lose-it perk. That means you’ll have to use that full $10 credit each and every month (for up to $120 a year) – an unused balance won’t rollover to the next month.
Learn more about the *amex gold*
Full Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
The Amex Gold Card is easily one of the best credit cards on the market. And in our minds, this new benefit makes it a little bit better.
It is a solid card for those who spend a lot on groceries & restaurants. In fact, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better option in either category – a major expense in almost every household. Add in the 60,000-point welcome bonus after spending $6,000 within six months, and this card could become a mainstay in your wallet.
See below for a full breakdown of the benefits the card offers.
- But see if you qualify for a 75,000-point offer via CardMatch with the same spending requirement.
- Earn 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines and at amextravel.com.
- Earn 4x points at restaurants worldwide on an unlimited amount of spending.
- Earn 4x points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $25,000 of spending per calendar year. 1x points per dollar spent after that
- Earn 1x points on other purchases
- $120 annual dining credit split up monthly in $10 increments for charges at GrubHub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar, and Participating Shake Shack locations
- Starting Feb. 1, 2021, the Amex Gold Card will receive $10 monthly Uber credits. These can be used for Uber rides or for Uber Eats food delivery.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit per calendar year for baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline. Read about the best ways to maximize this credit. This benefit will be disappear in 2022.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $250 annual fee (see rates & fees)
- Terms Apply
Learn more about the *amex gold*
This is great news for new and existing American Express Gold cardholders. With a Feb. 1 start date, you should be able to easily squeeze another $110 in value out of the Gold Card in 2021, and $120 each year ($10 each month) indefinitely starting next year in 2022.