From Black Friday to Travel Tuesday, There’s No Special Day to Score Cheap Flights
Airlines and travel websites call today “Travel Tuesday” or “Travel Deal Tuesday.” We call it … well, just another day.
Along with Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and National Cheap Flight Day, today is the latest day when travelers are convinced they’ll get the best deals on flights. We search for cheap flights 365 days a year, so take it from us: It’s more of a marketing gimmick than a money-saving reality.
Whether it’s Travel Tuesday or any old Tuesday, there’s no sense in waiting for a specific day to book flights. There is no magical day to score the best deal. You can find cheap flights every day of the year.
Sure, there will be some deals on airfare and hotels for Travel Tuesday, just as airlines and hotels offered some decent discounts on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It’s worth looking out for a bargain today – some data from websites like Hopper suggests the deals are out there. But don’t assume you’re getting the best deal just because it’s a special day.
The next dirt-cheap flight deal can pop up at any time, any day of the week. Airlines are constantly tweaking prices on fares and loading new ones – and the best deals are rarely advertised as carriers try to undercut their competition with lower prices. If you’re lucky, you can even catch a mistake fare – the holy grail of cheap flights.
But the only way to ensure you’re getting the best deal possible is to be patient and flexible, and use the best tools to find the best deals. So forget Travel Tuesday – make every day of the year your day to book cheap travel. Here’s how.
Use Google Flights to Start Your Search
It’s time to ditch Expedia and Kayak and come to the light: Google Flights is the best place to start your search for airfare.
Rather than an online travel agency like other search engines, Google Flights is a price aggregator, pulling the best fares directly from the airlines. If you’re new to using Google Flights, check out our resources and learn to use it like a pro to book the cheapest flights possible.
- Introduction to using Google Flights
- Set a Google Flights Price Alert to track the price of airfare
- Use Google Flights Explore to find the cheapest getaway you can
- And more!
It’s one of our favorite tools to find cheap flights. While you can sometimes drop your airfare even farther by using other sites like Skyscanner or Momondo, Google Flights should always be your starting point to find a cheap fare.
Give us a Follow!
Looking for cheap flights? Start here – with us!
We hunt for the cheapest domestic flight deals each day and post them here at ThriftyTraveler.com. But instead of searching our website each day, just sign up and starting getting our free daily newsletter. We’ll send you the best domestic flight deals of the day, plus other travel news and cheap travel tips! You’ll also occasionally get some of the cheapest international airfare we find.
Pick the Cheapest Time to Travel
Looking to save big bucks on airfare? These are our best tips for rethinking when you travel.
- Fly on off-peak days: Although flight prices are unpredictable, the cheapest flights typically depart and return on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. Make a long weekend trip from Wednesday to Saturday, or fly in and out on Saturdays instead of Sundays. These small changes can save you a ton.
- The Death of Last-Minute Fares: It’s time to put this myth to rest: the age of last-minute deals are largely gone. Now, last-minute travelers are often business travelers and companies that are willing to foot a big bill for it. Avoid booking within 30-45 days before your flight. Plan ahead and don’t bank on getting a last-second fare. You don’t want to get stuck paying 3 times the price for waiting.
- Capitalize on the Shoulder Season. Peak summer, from June to August, is a pricey time to travel. There are few sales, and prices are often more than double the norm. Not to mention, your destination could be packed with tourists. Instead, try traveling during the shoulder season. The best dates are between May and early June and late August through September.
- Read the rest of our travel-timing tips to save on airfare!
Thrifty Traveler Premium
Want to travel cheap internationally? We’ll do the work for you.
If you’re looking for the craziest international flight deals – we’re talking flash sales, mistake fares, flights to Asia for $400 or less and nonstop fares to Europe for under $300 – you’ve come to the right place.
Here at Thrifty Traveler, we find flight deals for a living. We share the awesome domestic deals we find here on our website, and Thrifty Traveler members get a crazy cheap international flight every single week – for free. Sign up to start getting them directly to your inbox.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.