Travel is booming, and so is our team: We're hiring again!
This time around, we're looking to hire a sharp senior editor as we continue to build out our newsroom and cover all the ins and outs of the travel world. Think you fit the bill? Keep reading for the full details, job description, and qualifications … but don't take too long: The deadline for applications is this Wednesday, Sept. 28!
But here's the bottom line: We're aiming to find a passionate and savvy traveler with at least a few years of journalism experience to join our team. Our Senior Editor will be an integral leader and voice on our growing editorial team, both editing and writing the guides and daily news you see here while helping strategize our overarching coverage.
Sound like a job you want? We want you! But keep reading for more details.
Thrifty Traveler Senior Editor: About the Job
Thrifty Traveler is looking for an experienced journalist to join our small but growing team in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In addition to writing and editing stories for daily publication on our website (from airline industry news to in-depth guides on cheap travel strategies to destination features and everything in between), this person will also help strategize our coverage of all things cheap travel, assist with our search engine optimization (SEO) efforts, and contribute to the development and execution of company strategy. They'll also help direct Thrifty Traveler's editorial team, helping to lead our growing newsroom. This person must be located in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota.
To apply, email your resume and application materials to [email protected] with the subject line “Thrifty Traveler Senior Editor Position.”
Please submit your application by Wednesday, Sept. 28!
- Flexible schedule
- ½ day Fridays in summer
- Hybrid work environment
- 401K matching
- HSA matching
- 15 days of paid vacation to start
- Salary information will be provided to qualified applicants.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Report and write daily and longer-term travel stories
- Edit and publish stories daily to our website, including freelance content
- Help strategize & direct Thrifty Traveler’s coverage of all things travel
- Assist with strategy & implementation of SEO-focused stories, sitewide improvements, etc.
- Participate in team strategy meetings (virtual)
- Participate in at least one full team in-person meeting weekly
Qualifications & Skills
- 2-5 years minimum published journalism experience
- Must be based in Minneapolis-St. Paul area
- Newsroom experience is a plus
- Knowledge of AP Style required
- WordPress experience preferred
- SEO knowledge preferred
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about travel
- Thrives in a small team setting
- Able to pivot quickly and wear multiple hats
- Communicates effectively & detail oriented
- Willing and excited to learn new things
The pandemic might have set travel back, but Thrifty Traveler is growing faster than ever.
We're looking to hire a senior editor as we supercharge our coverage of all things travel in the months and years ahead. If you fit the bill, email your resume and application materials to [email protected] with the subject line “Thrifty Traveler Senior Editor Position.”
Please submit your application by this Wednesday, Sept. 28!