Southwest Airlines is out with what might be its sale of the year, selling flights all fall and winter for 50% – whether you pay in cash or redeem Rapid Rewards points. And you've got one last chance to take advantage!
This new Southwest sale gets you 50% off almost any flight through early March. That half-off discount applies for travel from Oct. 24 all the way through March 6 – just a handful of dates around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and President's Day are blacked out. After an extension from the airline, this sale ends at midnight on Friday, Sept. 29. This is your last chance!
This sale can help you find some record-low fares whether you want to book a quick domestic getaway, take a bucket list trip to the Hawaiian Islands, or nearly anywhere else in the U.S. or even down to the Caribbean. Just head to the Southwest sale page and pick your home airport – or simply pull up Southwest's low fare calendar to get a month-long view and find the best deals.
The sale promo code is WOW50, but in most cases the promo code should automatically apply to any search. Head to Southwest's sale page and starting looking!
Already have a Southwest flight booked for later this year? You can easily rebook it online and pocket the difference as a Southwest credit – and those never expire!
The deals vary from airport to airport, but 50% off the base fare of every flight is built into the price you see when you search with the promo code on the cheapest Wanna Get Away fares as well as Wanna Get Away Plus tickets.
As you can see from the screenshot above, Hawaii is arguably the sweetest spot in this Southwest sale, slashing roundtrip flights from the mainland to the Hawaiian islands as low just $70ish each way or roughly $140 roundtrip!
But the savings stretch from coast to coast, like this dirt-cheap deal flying Southwest from Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) to Orlando (MCO) for a trip to Disney in December for just $143 roundtrip.
And since using Southwest Rapid Rewards points hinges on the cash price, these lower fares mean you could get an even better deal using points and miles to book a Southwest flight this year or early next. Southwest is a Chase transfer partner, so you can send Chase points from cards like the *chase sapphire preferred* to get the Southwest points you need to take these great deals and make them (nearly) free.
You won't need very many points to pull it off, either!
Keep reading to see how to take advantage of this sale before it ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, Sept. 29!
How to Book this Southwest Sale
It really doesn't get any easier than this.
Here's what you need to know to take advantage:
- Head to the Southwest sale page or Southwest Low Fare Calendar to start searching for fares 50% off
- Enter promo code WOW50 if it doesn't apply automatically
- Lowest prices are Wanna Get Away fares, which can still be changed or canceled for a travel credit for free. Wanna Get Away Plus tickets are also eligible for 50% off
- Also applies to award fares booked using Southwest Rapid Rewards points (remember, Southwest is a Chase transfer partner!)
- Eligible for travel from Oct. 24 through March 6, 2024 with blackout dates
- In the continental U.S., blackout dates include travel from Nov. 17-22, Nov. 25-27, Dec. 21-23, Dec. 26-30, Jan. 1-4, Jan. 6-7, Feb. 16, and Feb. 19
- Flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and international destinations are blacked out from Nov. 17-19, Dec. 15 – Jan. 8, Jan. 11-13, and Feb. 15-18
- Return flights from Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and international destinations are blacked out from Nov. 24-27, Dec. 15-Jan. 8, Jan. 15-16, and Feb. 23-27
- Flights to and from Orange County (SNA) are blacked out from Oct. 24 – Jan. 2, Jan. 6-7, Feb. 16, and Feb. 19
- Must book by Friday, Sept. 29 at 11:59 p.m. PST
Want to take it to the next level? Fares booked through this sale also qualify for the Southwest companion pass – whether you book using cash or points! That means you could score a deeply discounted ticket and then bring your companion for nearly free, paying only the taxes and fees on the ticket.
Southwest is out with its latest and greatest sale, offering 50% off fares across the country all fall and winter long – whether you're paying cash or using points.
This sale is especially useful to fly to the Hawaiian islands, but can be used on any nearly any flight you're planning to take later this year and early next. You can even modify your existing Southwest reservations to save even more with this sale.
But be sure to book by Friday, Sept. 29 at midnight before this Southwest sale ends!