Hyatt is one of the best hotel chains out there because the amount of points you need to snag a free room is so reasonable. But like all hotel chains, Hyatt mixes things up every year by shuffling hotels between award categories to increase – or decrease – the rate for a free night’s stay.
Hyatt unveiled its latest round of changes on Wednesday, with 217 Hyatt properties on the move. In all, 117 Hyatt hotels will soon cost more points, while another 100 properties will soon require fewer points.
But these changes won’t take place until March 22 at 8 a.m. CST – the same time Hyatt rolls out its new peak and off-peak pricing model. That means you’ve got more than a month to book more than 100 different properties before the price increases. On the flip side, Hyatt says it will refund members who book any of the 100 hotels before the price drops.
What is Changing?
Hyatt sets the number of points you need to book a free night based on an award chart, divided up into eight different categories.
If you want to book a standard room at a Hyatt category 5 hotel, it will cost you 20,000 World of Hyatt points per night. With the introduction of peak and off-peak pricing next month, the timing of your stay could change that rate.
And as Hyatt reshuffles properties across categories, it could also cost more (or fewer) points to book a night at the same hotel than it does today. Here’s a look at Hyatt’s new award chart, effective March 22.
With 217 properties on the move, there’s a lot to unpack. Hyatt notes that no property will shift by more than one category – up or down. You can scan the full list of Hyatt category changes for yourself.
But we’ll highlight some of the changing properties that stand out. Let’s start with the bad news: hotels that will soon require more points.
Hyatt Hotels on the Rise
In all, 117 Hyatt properties are moving up categories, which means they’ll soon cost 3,000 to 10,000 more points per night to book.
Here are a few that stick out:
- Akyra Beach Resort Phuket: increases from 12,000 points per night (category 3) to 15,000 points (category 4)
- Hyatt Regency Tokyo: increases from 12,000 points per night (category 3) to 15,000 points (category 4)
- Hyatt House Nashville Downtown: increases from 15,000 points per night (category 4) to 20,000 points (category 5)
- Park Hyatt Saigon: increases from 15,000 points per night (category 4) to 20,000 points (category 5)
- Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Costa Rica: increases from 20,000 points per night (category 5) to 25,000 points (category 6)
- Grand Hyatt Tokyo: increases from 25,000 points per night (category 6) to 30,000 points (category 7)
- Andaz Fifth Avenue New York City: increases from 25,000 points per night (category 6) to 30,000 points (category 7)
- Viceroy Bali: increases from 30,000 points per night (category 7) to 40,000 points (category 8)
If any of these properties – or the 110 others moving up a category – are on your radar, book soon. Come March 22, they’ll cost more points for a free stay.
Hyatt Properties Going Down
It’s not all bad news. Exactly 100 Hyatt properties will move down a category, meaning they’ll soon cost fewer points to book.
Here are some highlights:
- Grand Hyatt Incheon: drops from 12,000 points per night (category 3) to 8,000 points (category 2)
- Grand Hyatt Istanbul: drops from 12,000 points per night (category 3) to 8,000 points (category 2)
- Grand Hyatt Dubai: drops from 15,000 points per night (category 4) to 12,000 points (category 3)
- Park Hyatt Melbourne: drops from 20,000 points per night (category 5) to 15,000 points (category 4)
- Park Hyatt Mallorca: drops from 25,000 points per night (category 6) to 20,000 points (category 5)
- Park Hyatt Chicago: drops from 25,000 points per night (category 6) to 20,000 points (category 5)
- Cape Fahn Hotel Koh Samui: drops from 30,00 points per night (category 7) to 25,000 points (category 6)
Big Changes for Free Night Certificates
One of the biggest perks of holding the Chase World of Hyatt Credit Card is that it gets you a free night at a Hyatt property each year on your cardmember anniversary. But not just any hotel makes the cut – these anniversary nights must be at a category 1-4 property.
Click Here to learn more about the World of Hyatt Card.
So these upcoming category changes have some big ramifications for which hotels make the cut for your anniversary night. Let’s start with the good news: There’s a whole new batch of hotels that are suddenly eligible to use your free night award.
|Name||Location||Current Category||New Category|
|Aleenta Resort & Spa Hua Hin||Pranburi, Thailand||5||4|
|Hyatt Regency Amsterdam||Netherlands||5||4|
|Park Hyatt Changbaishan||China||5||4|
|Park Hyatt Hamburg||Germany||5||4|
|Hotel Bergs||Riga, Latvia||5||4|
|Hyatt at Olive 8||Seattle||5||4|
|Park Hyatt Melbourne||Australia||5||4|
|Nam Nghi Phu Quoc||Phu Quoc, Vietnam||5||4|
|Grand Hyatt Seattle||Seattle||5||4|
|Hyatt Regency Sochi||Russia||5||4|
|Hyatt Regency Sydney||Australia||5||4|
|The Grand Hotel||United Kingdom||5||4|
|The Sukhothai Shanghai||China||5||4|
Meanwhile, even more properties are shifting up from Category 4 to Category 5. That means all these properties will no longer be eligible for your free night award.
|Name||Location||Current Category||New Category|
|Hyatt Place Augusta||Augusta||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort||Cambridge||4||5|
|Grand Hyatt Doha||Qatar||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf||Germany||4||5|
|Grand Hyatt Fukuoka||Japan||4||5|
|Gaya Island Resort SLH Borneo||Malaysia||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Louisville||Louisville||4||5|
|Hyatt House Nashville Downtown||Nashville||4||5|
|Hyatt Place Ocean City Oceanfront||Ocean City||4||5|
|Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port||Portland||4||5|
|Park Hyatt Saigon||Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam||4||5|
|Hyatt House San Jose/Silicon Valley||San Jose||4||5|
|Hyatt House Santa Clara||Santa Clara||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Santa Clara||Santa Clara||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Seragaki Island||Okinawa, Japan||4||5|
|Park Hyatt Shenzhen Futian||Shenzhen, China||4||5|
|Hyatt Place State College||State College||4||5|
|The Fish Hotel SLH Broadway||United Kingdom||4||5|
|Boutique Hotel Villa Am Ruhrufer SLH||Germany||4||5|
|Alila Yangshuo||Guilin, China||4||5|
|Park Hyatt Zanzibar||Zanzibar, Tanzania||4||5|
If you have stays planned at any of these hotels and want to use your free night certificate, World of Hyatt points, or both, make sure to book before March 22!
Hotels update their category lists all the time, and it is probably safe to assume that many of the changes are based on the individual property’s popularity. Properties with lower occupancy rates and more demand will move up, while properties with higher occupancy rates and less demand will move down to entice more traffic.
Overall, these changes are fairly mild – especially compared to the monstrous changes we saw from Marriott just last week. But it’s still worth keeping these brewing changes in mind if you’re looking to use Hyatt points or a free night certificate.
Remember: There’s no harm in booking now. You can snag a free night at a property before it goes up in price, while Hyatt will refund you if the rate drops. Just be sure to lock in these better rates before March 22.
If you’ve got Hyatt points and travel plans, what are you waiting for? Make sure to check out how this brewing list of category changes affects your upcoming travel, and book before March 22 to get the best deal.