Saving on Amazon purchases doesn't get much easier than this. Some American Express cardholders can easily save up to $10, $25, $40, or even $80 on their purchases from Amazon or more with this latest promo.
Amazon and American Express regularly team up for these promos that unlock huge savings when using Amex Membership Rewards points toward your purchase. And best of all, you only need to use 1 Amex point to trigger the savings.
This is one of the biggest promos we've ever seen from Amazon and Amex, but exactly what savings you get will vary. Some cardholders will be eligible for the best offer: Saving 50% for up to $80 off. Others will see smaller savings, like getting 30% for up to $30 in savings or just $10 off with a 10% discount. And still others may not be targeted for this promo at all – especially if you've regularly used these offers before.
No matter what, this is an easy way to save on an upcoming Amazon purchase so check to see if you're eligible!
All you need to do is link your Amex Membership Reward-earning credit card to your Amazon account. Then just activate the discount through the promotional page, add items shipped and sold by Amazon to your cart, then apply a single Membership Rewards point to your purchase to unlock these savings.
This promo is targeted, so not everyone is eligible. If you get a blank screen on the promo page, you aren't eligible. But hurry! These promotions often disappear fairly quickly based upon how many people use it.
Wanna save on flights, too? Here's our No. 1 tip: Always start your search using Google Flights.
Here’s how it works…
How to Save Up to $80 On Your Amazon Order
- First things first, you need an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards points, like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold card. Co-branded Delta cards or hotel chain cards won’t do the trick.
- You’ll need to link your Membership Rewards account with Amazon, which you can do by clicking here.
- The most important step: See if you’re eligible by heading to the promo page!
- Add up your purchases to your Amazon cart. These items must be sold and shipped by Amazon to qualify for the discount. Check on the item page or in your cart – here’s what to look for:
While Amazon gift cards won’t qualify for this discount, other third-party cards will. For example, you could buy Airbnb, Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, or Uber gift cards and get the up to $80 discount.
- When you’re ready to check out, choose your American Express card as payment and pay for at least a portion of your order with Membership Rewards points. For the best value, just type in “.01” under “Apply American Express Membership Rewards Points.” This will put a single point and unlock your discount.
- Finish your purchase and save up to $80!
Make sure to check your payment method after you take advantage of this deal and before making a future purchase. A few members of the Thrifty Traveler team have used this promo and the next time they tried making a purchase on Amazon, the payment method defaults to paying entirely with Membership Rewards.
These promos are an easy way to save up to $80 if you have shopping to do at Amazon. And we all know you've got a cart full of Amazon goodies waiting to be purchased.
Check to see if you’re eligible for one of these discounts!
And read more on Amex Platinum Benefits!
would a visa gift card qualify ?
Awesome just used it and scored a Air B&B gift card saving $50 for a trip I know I was already taking. Thanks for the tip.
I’m currently trying this right now. Trying to buy $250 of Uber gift cards. I’ve applied a point to use, and using my Amex Gold card. Should the discount be appearing in the shopping cart? Or is this a reward that works out with Amex on my bill? Thanks!
The discount should appear in your Amazon cart once you’ve activated the promo and applied a point. Make sure the items you’ve added to your cart are sold and shipped by Amazon.
Make sure to check that you are only using .01 with points comes out at 1 point.
Just got $30 off of an uber eats gift card. Thank you
I very rarely ever am eligible for these promotions on my AMEX Plat. What gives!?!
You’ve enrolled your Amex card through Amazon, right? If so, try removing it from your payment methods, re-enrolling and giving it another few days to see if you get targeted.
Thank you. Worked for a 28% discount on a Southwest GC on Amazon!