Prime Day is just around the corner, and this might just be the easiest way to save big bucks on Amazon you’ll ever find. Some American Express cardholders can easily save as much as 40% on their purchases from Amazon – for up to $50 in savings! – with this latest promo.
Amazon and American Express regularly team up for these promos that unlock huge savings when using Amex Membership Rewards points toward your purchase. Some cardholders will be eligible for the full 40% off, while others may see just 10%, 20%, or 30% off. And still others may not be targeted for this promo at all – especially if you’ve used it before.
All you need to do is link your Amex Membership Reward-earning credit card to your Amazon account. Then just activate the discount through the promotional page, add items shipped and sold by Amazon to your cart, then apply a single Membership Rewards point to your purchase to unlock these savings.
This promo is targeted, so not everyone is eligible. If you get a blank screen on the promo page, you aren’t eligible. If you are, it works across multiple transactions, so you can keep saving 10% to 40% by applying one Amex point until you’ve hit the cap on maximum savings.
Amazon says this promotion runs all the way through June 2021, but these promotions are typically capped based on how many users activate the promo – so don’t wait!
Wanna save on flights, too? Here’s our No. 1 tip: Always start your search using Google Flights.
Here’s how it works…
How to Get up to 40% Off Your Amazon Order
- First things first, you need an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards points, like the Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold card. Co-branded Delta cards or hotel chain cards won’t do the trick.
- You’ll need to link your Membership Rewards account with Amazon, which you can do by clicking here.
- The most important step: See if you’re eligible by heading to the promo page!
- Add up your purchases to your Amazon cart. These items must be sold and shipped by Amazon to qualify for the discount. Check on the item page or in your cart – here’s what to look for:
While Amazon gift cards won’t qualify for this discount, other third-party cards will. For example, you could buy Airbnb, Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, or Uber gift cards and get the 10-40% discount.
- When you’re ready to check out, choose your American Express card as payment and pay for at least a portion of your order with Membership Rewards points. For the best value, just type in “.01” under “Apply American Express Membership Rewards Points.” This will put a single point and unlock your 10%-40% discount.
- Finish your purchase and save 10-40%!
Make sure to check your payment method after you take advantage of this deal and before making a future purchase. A few members of the Thrifty Traveler team have used this promo and the next time they tried making a purchase on Amazon, the payment method defaults to paying entirely with Membership Rewards.
These promos are an easy way to save up to 40% if you have shopping to do at Amazon. And we all know you’ve got a cart full of Amazon goodies waiting to be purchased.
Check to see if you’re eligible for one of these discounts!