Coming Soon: Visitors to UK Will Need to Apply Online for Entry

Advertiser Disclosure

UK eta entry permit requirement

Coming Soon: Visitors to UK Will Need to Apply Online for Entry

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information check out our Advertising Disclosure.

Planning a trip across the pond? The United Kingdom will soon require a few extra steps – and a little bit of cash – to get in.

The U.K. is in the process of introducing an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system that will require many travelers, including those from the U.S., to apply for permission to enter the U.K. This new ETA won't quite be a visa – it's just an electronic entry permit for travelers visiting the U.K. for short stays.

Exactly when these electronic permits will be required, as well as how much they'll cost, is still up in the air.

The U.K. government has previously said it planned to launch by the end of 2023, though official government resources (from a year ago) currently say it will be “fully in place by the end of 2024.” The cost has never been mentioned.

Officials say implementing the electronic entry system will “give the U.K. more control of our borders, allowing us to block threats from entering the UK, whilst also providing individuals, and carriers, with more assurance at an earlier point in time about their ability to travel to the U.K,” according to the British government's website.

Castle in Scotland, United Kingdom
Photo courtesy of Conor Mollison

With a similar system coming online soon across the rest of Europe, the days of needing just a passport to travel across the Atlantic Ocean are over.

The rollout of the U.K.'s ETA system comes as the European Union is planning to launch an electronic entry system of its own. When the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) goes online in November, U.S. citizens and other foreign visitors will be required to apply and pay a 7 euro fee to enter most countries in Europe.

While cheaper and much easier than traditional visas, these new pre-travel requirements will add yet another step to your transatlantic trip whether you're heading for Paris or London.


How Do You Apply for A U.K. ETA?

ETAs will be available through an online application, so there's no need to go to a U.K. embassy to apply.

The application process should only take about 10-15 minutes and must be completed a few days prior to departure, although officials have not specified an exact deadline.

Travel information website ETAUK provides a helpful walkthrough of what the process will look like.

UK ETA application 

To apply, travelers will fill out a form with some basic personal details, passport data, travel information, and answers to some basic security questions. Applications will be processed automatically, and officials estimate it could take 48 to 72 hours to receive a response.


How Much Will a U.K. ETA Cost?

An exact amount has not yet been announced, but travelers can expect to pay just a small fee for their ETA to enter the U.K.

A credit or debit card will be required to pay the fee online. To give you an idea of what it might cost, the European Union's ETIAS system will charge 7 euro – about $7.55. The U.S.'s own ESTA system currently charges foreign travelers $21.


How Will a U.K. ETA Work?

ETAs will be linked to travelers' passports, so there should be no need to print out or show additional documentation.

Travelers will scan their passports upon arrival to the U.K. to verify they have the entry permit. Airlines may also be required confirm passengers have the appropriate permission before allowing them to board the plane.

U.S. passport and boarding pass 

Travelers who show up without an ETA could be subject to a penalty.


How Long is a U.K. ETA Valid For?

Once you've applied and been approved for an ETA, you may not need to apply again for a few years.

An ETA will likely be valid for up to two years and allow multiple entries, meaning you could plan several trips to England, Scotland, or Wales during that period without having to apply again. Once approved, visitors will be able to spend up to six months at a time in the U.K. for leisure or business travel, short-term study, or medical treatment.

But remember: An ETA is not a visa. The authorization program only grants permission for short visits to the U.K. To stay long-term or to work in the U.K., you'll need to apply for a visa or other entry permit.


Bottom Line

Just like the rest of Europe, travel to the U.K. is changing soon.

You still won't need a visa. But starting sometime in the next year or two, all foreign travelers will need to apply for permission to enter the U.K. through the country's new ETA system. While the process shouldn't be too complicated or costly, it's something to be aware of if you're planning a trip across the pond in the near future.

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

11 Responses

  • Is the USA also looking at a similar plan for Europeans traveling to the states?
    See,s to me, at least from an American citizen view point, this is just another way to increase the “tax” rolls. While security is always an issue, I don’t quite buy since European, UK, and the USA already share “No Fly” data with one another.

  • Good morning. Will this apply to those applicants holding South African passports. South African passport holders usually require a visit to a consulate to have biometrics done after filling in an application form online/supplying loads of paperwork just for a family visit.

  • You mention England, Scotland and Wales but this also includes Northern Ireland (and the Isle of Man and the Chanel Islands).

  • Is Ireland part of this? Also my other question is you fill out the paperwork for your visit yet most people purchase airline tickets 6 months prior to going . So you buy your airline tickets then a few days prior you submit this form and for some reason you get told no are you going to reimburse the airline tickets?

  • I don’t know why they keep calling it “not a visa“. If you have to pay and it’s required to get in the country, it sounds like a visa to me. It may not be in the absolute legal sense, but for the regular traveler, that is a visa. No big deal just something we need to be aware of.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *