This might just be the easiest way to save $50 you’ll ever find. American Express cardholders can easily save 20% on their purchases from Amazon – for up to $50 in savings!
Amazon and American Express occasionally team up for these promos – they had an identical promotion in early January and another around Black Friday. Deals We Like reports that more people are being targeted for this promotion again. And unlike previous promos, there’s a good chance you’ll be eligible for this one even if you’ve previously cashed in on a similar deal.
All you need to do is link your Amex Membership Reward-earning credit card to your Amazon account. Then just activate the discount through the promotional page, add up to $250 in items shipped and sold by Amazon to your cart, then apply a single Membership Rewards point to your purchase to get the discount.
This promotion is targeted, but it seems fairly widely available to American Express cardholders – even those who have used similar deals in the past. And it works across multiple transactions, so you can keep saving 20% by applying one Amex point until you’ve hit the $50 cap.
Amazon says this promotion runs all the way through February 2020, but these offers can disappear faster so don’t wait too long. Here’s how it works:
How to Get 20% Off Your Amazon Order
- First things first, you need an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards points, like the American Express Platinum card or the American Express Gold card. Co-branded Delta cards or hotel chain cards won’t do the trick.
- You’ll need to link your Membership Rewards account with Amazon, which you can do by clicking here.
- The most important step: See if you’re eligible by heading to the promo page
- Add up to $250 of items to your Amazon cart. These items must be sold and shipped by Amazon to qualify for the discount. Check on the item page or in your cart – here’s what to look for:
- When you’re ready to check out, choose your American Express card as payment and pay for at least a portion of your order with Membership Rewards points. For the best value, just type in “.01” under “Apply American Express Membership Rewards Points.” This will put a single point and unlock the 20% discount.
- Finish your purchase and save 20%!
Make sure to check your payment method after you take advantage of this deal and before making a future purchase. A few members of the Thrifty Traveler team used this promo and the next time they tried making a purchase on Amazon, the payment method defaulted to paying entirely with Membership Rewards.
This offer is an easy way to save up to $50 if you have shopping to do at Amazon – and we all know that’s the case. Check to see if you’re eligible for the discount!
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.