As new COVID-19 test requirements take effect for flights returning to the U.S., Hyatt announced Tuesday that it would offer free onsite tests to guests at all its properties in Mexico, the Caribbean, and throughout Latin America.
Announced earlier this month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) new requirement for testing went live Tuesday, threatening to upend international travel for the foreseeable future. That’s most pronounced in Latin America, one of the few regions of the world where Americans have continued traveling throughout the pandemic, and where economies rely upon U.S. travelers. Even U.S. citizens are required to get a test before boarding a flight back home.
Read more on the new testing requirements for international travel.
While individual resorts and small chains have stepped up to provide testing, Hyatt’s promise to offer free testing makes it the first major hotel chain to do so. That includes Hyatt’s Ziva and Zilara all-inclusive properties in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic, as well as partner properties like Thompson Hotels.
Free tests will be available for up to two guests returning to the U.S. per room – either rapid antigen tests or PCR tests, both satisfying the new CDC requirements – with minimum stay requirements that vary by property. Additional tests will cost extra, though Hyatt hasn’t published a list with pricing at each property.
What’s more, many Hyatt properties will offer 25% to 50% discounted rates if travelers need to extend their stay to quarantine in the event of a positive COVID-19 test – plus 30% off food and beverage (but not alcohol). Hyatt Ziva and Zilara properties aren’t included in these extended stay discounts.
With just 19 resorts scattered through Mexico, Costa Rica, the Caribbean, and South America, Hyatt’s footprint is relatively small. But as travel companies scatter to avoid a rush of cancellations given the questions surrounding testing availability abroad, Hyatt may not be the last major hotel chain to step up with free on-site testing.
Which Hyatt Properties Offer Free Testing?
From Mexico to Costa Rica and down to Brazil, all 19 properties in Hyatt’s Latin America network will offer free onsite testing.
- Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort Spa and Casino
- Park Hyatt St. Kitts Christophe Harbour
- Grand Hyatt Baha Mar, Bahamas
- Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana, Dominican Republic
- Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana, Dominican Republic
- Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall, Jamaica
- Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall, Jamaica
- Andaz Costa Rica Resort at Peninsula Papagayo
- Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Thompson Playa del Carmen Beach House, Mexico
- Thompson Playa del Carmen Main House, Mexico
- The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Thompson Zihuatanejo, a Beach Resort, Mexico
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, Mexico
- Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Hyatt Zilara Cancun, Mexico
- Hyatt Ziva Cancun, Mexico
This is a breaking news story, check back for updates.