Your MN Driver’s License soon won’t work at the Airport (NY, LA, NH too!)

If you have a Driver’s License from Minnesota, New York, Louisiana, or New Hampshire, you will need a second form of identification next year to get through TSA airport security.

Simply put, you will need a passport.

At some point in 2016, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will begin enforcing new nationwide identification standards called Real ID across the country.

The Real ID act was passed by Congress in 2005, as a counterterrorism measure to improve personal identification. Unfortunately, the driver’s licenses of a handful of states did not make the cut, and will require changes before Real ID is implemented next year.

If you live in the state of Minnesota you can apply for an enhanced license for $15, but right now there is no free option to update.

There is no new information if Real ID will actually be enforced, and there is no firm date on implementation other than it won’t be before January 1, 2016. It will be expensive and take time for the four states to comply and reissue ID’s, but that appears to be the only answer. Sounds like another tug of war between the state and federal government. I’d recommend applying for a passport and ignore yet another government debacle.


Do you have a NY, LA, NH or MN Driver’s License? What will you do? Leave a comment below. 


Never miss another post! Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our newsletter!


2 Responses

  1. Down at Logan says:

    Is Minnesota offering enhanced IDs for a higher price that will meet the Real ID measures?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *