Wide open American AAdvantage Business Class award redemptions to London this Summer!
It’s no secret that American Airlines is devaluing their AAdvantage loyalty program this March. After the announcement of the devaluation back in November, award availability has been in the toilet for some time. The good news is American has opened up Business Class award inventory from most major cities in the US to London, which starts at 50k AAdvantage miles one-way! If you’ve been waiting to use your miles now is the time to move.
The problem in the past has been that American forced you to fly partner British Airways to London, which tacked on up to $1,000 in fuel surcharges. You can now book, flying on American metal, from Minneapolis, New York, Chicago, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Miami, New York or Philadelphia to London on a Business MileSAAver ticket. Check routes from your city, there may be availability.
Thrifty Tip #1: You will have to pay around $275 in UK taxes on flights to London. This is required by UK law. Typical flights elsewhere run around $125 in business class.
Thrifty Tip #2: Find a flight but want to wait before booking? American allows a 24 hour hold on all tickets. Go through to the payment screen and select hold.
The other issue with booking AAdvantage awards has been that there typically is only one award seat on many Business Class flights, but with the current availability there is up to four or more seats available. This never happens.
Mrs. TT and I flew to Dusseldorf last year in business class on American’s 767-300 product. The flight was fantastic and only cost 100k AAdvantage miles + $125, but it was next to impossible to book. It was only after searching for hours and hours that I was finally able to find a flight which was all on American metal, and not on a partner such as British Airways. There was just no availability and there rarely has been over the years. Take advantage of this rare occasion to book!
Book ASAP! This is probably one of the last times you can use your AAdvantage award tickets to book a reasonable business class award ticket before the March devaluation.
Other AAdvantage Posts you should read:
- American AAdvantage Award Availability in the Toilet (5 Tips)
- 10 Tips for Booking Award Tickets
- 10% Rebate off AAdvantage Redemptions with CitiCards
- Earn 10,000 Extra AAdvantage Miles
- American Airlines AAdvantage Devaluation Coming March 2016
- Citi 50k AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard offer is back!
- Earn 50k AAdvantage miles with CitiBusiness Platinum Select
- Best use of American AAdvantage Miles (Off-Peak European Awards)
- [Citigold Checking] Earn 100k AAdvantage Miles or Thank You Points
- [Flight Review] American 767-300 Business Class
- [Flight Review} American 787 Dreamliner Business Class
H/T: View from the Wing