[Act Fast] SPG Personal Card Bonus May be Changing Tomorrow!
***Update*** At 7:30 AM Central time on 4/19/18, this deal appears to be gone.
Per the Frequent Miler, the current welcome offer for the Starwood Preferred Guest Personal Credit Card will be changing tomorrow (4/19/18)! The new welcome bonus offer is rumored to be $200 in statement credits after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months of card membership. That is a subpar deal compared to the current welcome offer of 25,000 SPG points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
As I outlined earlier this week with the announcement of Marriott & Starwood’s new unified loyalty program launching in August 2018, there is going to be a shakeup for both the Marriott and Starwood portfolio of credit cards. As a part of this, both Chase and American Express will be launching new co-branded credit cards and limiting applications on some of their existing cards.
Sometime soon, American Express will no longer allow applications for the current Starwood cards. If you haven’t had the SPG personal card, I would recommend applying for it ASAP as the welcome offer translates into 75,000 Marriott points after the merger in August. As mentioned, the welcome bonus is rumored to be changing tomorrow!
Current Benefits of the SPG Credit Cards from American Express
Welcome offer of 25,000 SPG Points (75,000 Marriott Points) after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months of card membershipThis offer is no longer available
- 2X SPG points per dollar spent at SPG & Marriott Properties. 1X SPG point for all other purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- SPG Gold Status after spending $30,000 in a calendar year
- 2 Stays and 5 Nights towards SPG Elite status each year upon card renewal
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide
- $95 annual fee (waived in year 1)
Future Benefits of the SPG Credit Cards from American Express
As mentioned above, American Express will soon discontinue applications for the current versions of the Starwood Preferred Guest co-branded credit cards. If you hold the card come August 1st, 2018 there will be a host of new benefits on both the personal and business versions of the card that you can take advantage of.
- Free Night certificate each year that can be redeemed at a property for up to 35,000 points per night.
- Complimentary Silver status (in the new unified program)
- Receive Gold Elite status after spending $30,000 in a calendar year.
- Receive 6X Points for spending at Marriott & SPG Hotels
- Receive 2X Points on all other purchases.
- 15 Elite Qualifying nights towards status each year
- Free Premium in-room internet access at Marriott & SPG Hotels
- Free Boingo Wifi
- $95 annual fee (waived in year 1)
If you haven’t yet had the co-branded American Express SPG credit cards, now is the time to get the personal card. Once the unified loyalty program launches in August of 2018, the 25,000 point welcome offer will translate into 75,000 Marriott points in the new program. This is a much better offer than new rumored $200 in statement credits offer starting tomorrow (4/19/18). Per the award chart below, 25,000 SPG Points (75,000 Marriott Points) is enough for 3 free nights at a category four hotel and more than enough for one night at a category seven property.
For holding this card after the merger, you will get a free anniversary night for properties costing up to 35,000 points per night. That is equivalent to a free night at a category 5 property. I would imagine this will cover the bulk of the new unified property portfolio and you should easily be able to get more value than the $95 annual fee will cost you out of this.
Don’t wait on this if you have been thinking about picking up the Starwood Preferred Guest personal card. The welcome bonus offer is rumored to be changing tomorrow.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.