Minnesota Offers Free Admission to State Parks on Black Friday
Last week, the State of Minnesota announced that all state parks and recreational areas would have free admission on Black Friday. This is a great way to avoid the Black Friday craziness, walk off that turkey dinner, and enjoy some of Minnesota’s 75 state parks. The forecast for Black Friday looks to be in the 20’s so bundle up. Check out the MN Park Finder to find your nearest locations.
Here are the MN Parks Recommendations:
- Explore a 3-mile loop around Pike Island at Fort Snelling State Park in St. Paul and keep an eye out for wild turkeys near the entrance to the park.
- Hike along the St. Croix River State Water Trail at Afton State Park in Hastings.
- Watch the trumpeter swans at Lake Maria State Park in Monticello.
- Join the naturalist November 27 for a 1.2 mile guided hike at Sibley State Park in west-central Minnesota near Willmar.
- Visit the headwaters of the Mississippi River State Water Trail at Itasca State Park in Park Rapids, and look for the first signs of ice between the rocks. (Mr. TT’s personal favorite)
- Take the trail to Shovel Point at Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay while listening to Lake Superior State Water Trail’s waves lapping on the shore.
- Check out the views of the Whitewater Valley from the Chimney Rock overlook at Whitewater State Park in southeastern Minnesota.
- See (and hear!) thousands of waterfowl at Lac qui Parle State Park in Montevideo. (Lac qui Parle means “the lake that speaks.)
- Hike the prairie at Blue Mounds State Park in Luverne to see what the bison are up to.