[Citigold Checking] Earn 100k AAdvantage Miles or Thank You Points
In an October post we covered how you could earn a massive amount of points for opening the now expired Citi Executive AAdvantage card and a Citigold Checking account. The good news is Citi increased their bonus offer this week for the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage card, so it’s a great time to pair up these two Citi deals. The best part about opening the Citigold checking account is that it can be funded with a Citi credit card! You can knock out the $3k spending requirements on the Citi Platinum Select card by funding your Citigold account. Earning 100k AAdvantage miles has never been easier!
50k Citi Platinum AAdvantage offer + $3k Minimum Spend + 50k CitiGold Checking offer = 103,000 AAdvantage Miles
- 50k miles after $3,000 spend in 3 months (Limited Time offer)
- No annual fee the first year, then $95
- 1st checked bag is free for you and four companions
- Early boarding in Zone 1
- No foreign transaction fees (New!)
- 50k AAdvantage miles after (Offer could expire at any time)
- Spending $1k on debit card
- Completing one bill-pay for two consecutive months on a non-citi account
- Use code 42ERCWNQU6 during sign-up
- $30 monthly fee is waived for the first two months
- Only requires a soft pull (instead of hard pull) on your credit report so your credit score won’t be impacted
- Apply for the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Card. If you do not receive instant approval call reconsideration @ 800-763-9795.
- Apply to open the Citigold Checking Account. Make sure to use code 42ERCWNQU6 during sign-up.
- When applying for the Citigold account, you should see a button called promotional disclosures. This should include details of the offer. I recommend taking a screenshot or printing for recordkeeping purposes.
- Select to fund the Citigold account with a credit card. You can select the PDF link to fill out and call or fax into Citi. To send a free online fax use faxzero.com. You can only fund the Citigold account up to your credit limit. I’d recommend at least $3k to hit your minimum spend for the credit card offer. Make sure to contact CitiCards before you fund the account to notify them of the large upcoming transaction.
- Wait 48 hours and check to see if your credit card has been charged. If not call into CitiBank and they can process the credit card funding.
- You should receive your debit card in the mail as well as a checkbook. You will also get a letter with your debit pin. This could take 1-2 weeks. Be patient this isn’t as quick as getting a credit card in the mail.
- Set-up and complete one bill-pay for two consecutive months from your Citigold account.
- Spend $1k on the Citi debit card. You can use it for normal spending or you can use it to load Bluebird or Serve at Walmart.
- Once you’ve completed both monthly bill-pays, and $1k debit card spending, make sure to contact Citi through a secure message to ensure the points are posted to your AAdvantage account. There are reports of points that are slow to post.
- Once the points post to your AAdvantage account you can keep the Citigold account open or close it. Just a heads up that you will be charged $30 a month for the Citigold account after the first two months. You can close the account online through the Citi Secure Message system.
Thrifty Tip #1: Call CitiCards to notify them you are making a large purchase from CitiBank and set your cash advance limit to $0. This way you should have no issue funding your account. Do this before faxing the funding instructions to CitiBank
Thrifty Tip #2: You can also receive Thank You Points instead of AAdvantage miles with code 42ERCZ42PY. You could apply for the Citi Thank You Premier card, to earn a total of 103k Thank You Points. Just follow the same steps.
Thrifty Tip #3: Be patient as the debit card, debit pin, and checks can take over a week to show up in the mail.
If you have not applied for the 50k Citi Platinum Select or the Citigold checking I highly recommend taking advantage of both offers while you can. This is a great opportunity to meet your credit card’s minimum spend and get 50k extra miles! The CitiGold checking offer takes a little bit more legwork and patience, but it’s an easy way to quickly build up your AAdvantage account.
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!